A food processor is a must for this recipe. For pesto, ingredient order matters. Start with the scapes, then add the seeds, then the oil and cheese. Serve by adding generously to pasta, crusty bread, vinaigrettes, sandwiches, fried or deviled eggs and more! If you plan on freezing the pesto, omit the cheese until you are ready to serve it!
1 bunch Garlic Scapes, sliced crosswise
4oz Basil leaves
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan or (Otterbein Sheep Cheese)
juice of 1 lemon (2 tbsp)
1. Place Garlic Scapes in Food Processor and pulse for 30 seconds
2. Add sunflower seeds and pulse for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add Olive Oil and process on high for 15 seconds. Then add the cheese and pulse until ingredients are combined.
4. Add Basil and lemon juice, and process until reaching desired consistency.
5. Add salt to taste. Enjoy!